This recipe of Healthy Baigan Bhaja aka Smoky roasted eggplant has been my favourite discovery this year.Not the fried Eggplant per se(cause it’s not fried) but the healthified smoky version of it that I made on a whim.
Frankly I struggled with the name- I mean it’s not fried, it’s not the conventional Baigan Bhaja but something so much more!
Instead of deep frying the eggplant slices, I have roasted them on a nonstick tawa(or a cast iron pan) with a drop of oil and then charred it directly over the flame.It’s best of all Eggplant worlds EVER!
The result is a quickly made, lower calorie eggplant fry which really is everything but fried!
This has totally fit into my “increase your vegetables woman” resolution of the month!
What I like most about the Baigan Bhaja recipe is that it’s fuss free and uses 5 ingredients- INCLUDING the spices.
- 1 Large Eggplant – Sliced (Bharta wala Baigan)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chilli
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tbsp Neutral Oil as much or as little as you want.
- Slice* the Eggplant into thin slices.
- Add the spices.Give it a mix.
- Heat a nonstick pan on high flame.Place the spiced eggplant pieces in one layer.Add a few drops of oil to each eggplant.
- Flip and repeat the process till the eggplant is cooked about 2 minutes each side.
- Using tongs, char the eggplant on both sides.
- Serve hot along with whatever you want!