Jasmine Tea Cake - Fluffy and super flavour some Jasmine and lime scented cake.Hot milk Cake made by steeping Jasmine tea in the milk.
What are your thoughts on Jasmine tea?and Jasmine Tea Cake?
That delicate flowery tone paired with the indian lime is a beautiful symphony just waiting to happen.
Ingredients of Jasmine Tea Cake
The ingredients are simple
- All purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Essence
- Jasmine tea
To make this Jasmine Tea Cake, I have improvised on the hot milk cake recipe by steeping the tea in the milk and butter mixture while it's boiling.Don't scoff at my method of steeping the jasmine tea in milk,i know it's traditionally boiled in water but this step makes sure you get the right amount of jasmine flavour with least number of buds especially because jasmine tea is super costly.
Texture and Taste of the Jasmine Tea Cake
The Crumb of the cake is light and spongy but it also has a great buttery flavour to it.It has a crumbly feel to it without it being too dry.The addition of milk and butter makes this cake moist and light.
One thing it's not is dense like some pound cakes tend to be.
The first thing you notice when you taste this cake exquisite combination of the flowery notes from the tea and the tang from the lime.
How to Serve this Jasmine Tea Cake
Though a glaze looks pretty,I don't think you need it.The cake has plenty sugar without it but that said if you want to glaze the cake I can suggest a simple white glaze
Lime Glaze for the Tea Cake
Mix in the below in a bowl and pour over the cake once it has cooled down.
- ½ Cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter-melted.
Substitutions and Variations of the Jasmine Tea Cake
If you cant find jasmine tea in a physical store near you, you can buy it online on Amazon.You can also substitute is with
- Camomile Tea
- Green Tea
- Other Fruit teas
- 1 ½ Cups All purpose Flour Maida
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Juice of 1 Lime plus Zest
- 10-12 buds of jasmine tea
- Mix the Flour,baking soda and powder and set aside
- Heat the milk and butter till the temperature is just above what you would be comfortable touching.Add the jasmine tea.Let it steep.
- Let the butter melt.Add the vanilla.
- In a Bowl beat or whisk together the eggs and sugar till the mixture turns pale and sugar is well incorporated.
- Add the hot milk mixture to the butter mixture slowly(trickle it in).Make sure the milk is not too hot or boiling as it would curdle the eggs.Mix well.
- Add in the flour mixture next and combine well.
- Add in the lime juice and lime zest.
- Pour the batter in a prepared tin till ¾ height.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180 degrees or till the skewer comes out clean.If the cake seems to be browning too much but is uncooked from inside cover it with aluminium foil and continue baking for another 5-10 minutes.
Cake Pan and other Technicalities
Baking is a measured art.The results can vary depending on your oven, quality of ingredients,their temperature and the pan that you use.
If you use a deep pan the baking takes longer than a pan which is large but shallow.Always while baking, keep an eye on the cakes ,15 minutes prior to the time given by the recipe.I have used a Nordic Ware Bundt Pan for this cake.You could also make it in a normal round shaped pan.
Most cakes are baked at 180 degrees.I suggest going lower than higher cause if the temperature is too high it will burn the cake and there is no return from that.But if the temperature is too low the cake will be undercooked which can still be tackled by increasing the bake time.