Instant Pot Pinto Beans– Super easy, no brainer way of cooking dried pinto beans in the instant pot.
In this post,I will answer all your questions- To soak or not to soak, to add salt or not, to add spices of not.
But first, is it even worth cooking pinto beans in the instant pot instead of just grabbing canned ones? There are tonnes of good options, organic too.
So why cook it in the instant pot?A few reasons really
- It’s cheaper
- It’s without any additives, chemicals and weird gooey stuff
- Dried beans can be stored for ages.
Cooked beans can last in the fridge for 4-5 days and you can freeze them too.
Now let’s look at soaking vs no soaking.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans No Soak
I usually do not soak my beans.There.I said it.
Most often than not, if I feel like eating beans and I make them.I cannot be bothered with a 8 hour soak.
Obviously there are virtues of soaking beans(read them in the next section) but I don’t find enough return on investment on them to preplan.
Usually, if you do not soak the beans, it takes about 10-15 more minutes to cook than it would if you soak.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans Presoaked
There is obviously a reason why most our parents soak the dried beans before cooking.And it is a good reason.(Just not good enough in my opinion but thats just my opinion.)
So here are some reasons
- They cook more evenly after being soaked. Un soaked beans tend to burst and break while cooking, which is okay with me most of the time.
- They digest more easily.
- They take lesser time to cook.
What to do with Cooked Pinto Beans?
There is a lot you can do with pinto beans.Here are a few options
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #yellowthyme on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
- 1 lbs Pinto Beans
- 8 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- Wash and soak the beans in 3 times the water for 6 hours or overnight.
- Add the soaked beans, water and salt to the instant pot.Select PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL for 20 minutes on HIGH pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before Quick Releasing the pressure.If the beans are not soft enough, pressure cook for another 5 minutes.
- Another way to do this is to add the water, salt and beans to the instant pot.Set the instant pot timer to 6 hours later for 20 minutes on HIGH.Let the pressure release naturally before opening the pot.
No Soaking Method
- Wash the beans in water.
- Add the washed beans, water and salt to the instant pot.Select PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL for 30 minutes on HIGH pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally before opening the pot.
- Age of the beans
- Altitude of the place
- Quality of the beans