Immune Boosting Healing Turmeric Soup with star anise, Turmeric, ginger & pepper.This is a perfect broth for fighting flu and cold.
You can customise it as per your need.On it’s own the soup is VEGAN,gluten free,paleo and whole 30 approved.
Feel free to add shredded Chicken,Cooked lentils or buckwheat or quinoa and any other veggie to it.
Disclaimer- This is by no means a medicine.It does not replace the need for medicines.
Everything in there has a benefit and really helps clear the sinuses and sore throat.
I usually make this when I have cold or cough.
Basically, it is a combination of Indian and Chinese household medicine to create this healing soup for ourselves.It’s simple…I gathered whatever I know that can help fighting cold and flu and put it all in a pot to simmer.
Ingredients for Turmeric Soup
This is more of an idea than a recipe hence feel free to omit or edit the recipe as per the ingredients at hand.I know that fresh turmeric has some zillion healing benefits.
- Star Anise
- Schezwan Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Vegetables- like mushrooms ,peas,spinach,carrots
Turmeric– Fresh turmeric heals better but its not always available.You can use dry turmeric or turmeric powder instead.Turmeric is anti inflammatory,
Schezwan Pepper– Similarly schezwan pepper is not a household ingredient and can be omitted if you don’t have it.
Also let me put this put there before people assume..I am not a doctor/Ayurveda specialist or dietician…This is something that works for my family and because it garnered a lot of attention on facebook and Instagram I decided to pen it down here for everybody to read.
How to make Turmeric Soup in Instant Pot
Step 1: Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.Add oil and the rest of the aromatics-Ginger, Turmeric, Onion, Whole spices.
Step 2:Add the vegetables.If you would like, add chicken or lentils.
Step 3:Close the lid.Select the Soup setting and set it for 20 minutes.Let the pressure release naturally before opening.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #yellowthyme on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 inch Fresh Turmeric cut into thin sticks or use 1 tbsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Inch Ginger cut into thin sticks
- 3 Star Anise
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- pinch Mace
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Schezwan Pepper optional.
- 1/2 Chopped Cup Green Onion
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms or Carrots or any other vegetable of choice.
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 Cube of Stock optional
- Salt as per Taste
- Handful Coriander
Instant Pot Version
- Select the SAUTE setting and heat the pot.
- Before it gets the HOT ,Add oil and the spices- star anise, cloves, cinnamon, star anise.Let them infuse for 1 minute
- Add the onions, turmeric and ginger. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Tip in the vegetables,3 cups Stock or water, mace, pepper and Salt
- Close the lid.Select SOUP setting for 20 minutes with the valve closed.
- Let the instant pot release pressure naturally once its done with cooking time.
- Garnish with coriander.Serve hot.
Stop Top Version
- Heat oil in a deep pot.
- Add ginger, turmeric,onion,spices and cook till fragrant.About 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and sauce for about 1 minute.
- Once the mushrooms brown a little add 3 cups of water and a stock cube.
- Simmer Covered for 1/2 hour at-least.
- Finish with lime juice, sprinkling of black pepper and coriander.
- Serve Hot
This post was originally published in March 9,2018