Crispy Chilli Peanut Tofu - Tofu sautéed in spicy Chilli peanut butter sauce served with Zuchinni Noodles. Vegan, Gluten free,Sweet, Spicy, and super delicious dinner recipe that's ready in UNDER 30 minutes!
This recipe is all about getting the tofu and the sauce to a place just before burning.The trick is crank up the heat and get the sauce to thicken and caramalize.Ah, those black & brown bits that stick to the tofu are PURE gold!
This peanut butter chilli Tofu with is so good that you will feel guilty eating it!! But you shouldn't because it's gluten free, vegan and low carb! So there's no reason to feel guilty at all!
It's the perfect anti climax to the fresh zucchini noodles and the lips smacking sauce.
And the sauce...oh the sauce!
If only I could describe the sauce better, but let me try.
It's sweet, spicy, umami, salty, and slightly tangy...all at the same time!That's what makes this Crispy Chilli Peanut Tofu dish so so delicious! If you like peanut butter, then I swear you will fall in LOVEwith this sauce! You will be in serious trouble of smearing this sauce on EVERYTHING!It's just THATdelicious!
How to Make Crispy Chilli Peanut Tofu with Zuchinni Noodles
First, you start with making the peanut butter chilli sauce.It's exactly what it sounds like..Peanut butter, chilli paste, ginger, garlic and soy sauce.
This is the fun step where you caramelise and crispy up the tofu.Use half the sauce, and sauce the tofu until the sauce evaporates and the tofu caramelizes.
Last step is to toss the zucchini noodles in the same pan with 1 Tablespoon of the chilli peanut sauce for 20-30 seconds.
How to Make Zoodles aka Zucchini Noodles
There are a few ways of spiralising.You could use
- Sprizlizer- I have the Paderno 7 blade spiralizer which is great but if I had to buy it again I would get the inspiraliser.
- Kitchen Aid Spiraliser Attachment
- Peeler-Another alternative is to get a small peeler which give you thin ribbons. The last and not too bad of an option is to use your potato peeler for this. The noodles will be flat but they will be delicious, nevertheless!
If you aren't a zucchini noodles fan then first let me urge you (frantically!) to try it at least once. But if you are still unconvinced, go ahead and replace the zoodles with rice noodles or whatever pasta you have at hand. But zoodles are so amazing, especially with this dish.
Here's the trick when it comes to zoodles.
Cook them as little as possible. If you like raw zucchini like me, then you don't have to cook them at all. For this recipe, I tossed the zoodles for about 10-15 seconds in the same pan I used to crisp up the tofu, so you have only one pan to clean up.
- Use extra firm tofu- anything else will crumble and result in a scramble instead. You want the tofu to be solid enough to toss around the pan.If you are in India check out this brand.
- Zoodles - if you don't have a spiralizer or don't fancy zucchini noodles, feel free to use any other kind of noodles. Flat rice noodles will go wonderfully well with this chili tofus dish. Squash zoodles are also delish in this recipe.
- Zucchini Noodles cooking time -Cook the Zoodles very sparingly to keep them crispy and fresh. I cooked mine just for a few seconds.
- Use a nonstick pan for this one. It will not only save time and effort but also give you delicious crispy tofu!
- Make a double batchof the sauce and serve it along or on top of some grilled chicken. It's SUPERdelicious!!
- Homemade Peanut Butter- Did you know you can make peanut butter at home with just ONE ingredient - peanuts ? Homemade peanut butteris so good! It's free of any preservatives, sugar, or any additives. You have got to try it!
- 1 Cup Tofu Diced
- 3 Cups Zuchinni Noodles
Peanut Butter & Chili Dressing
- Add peanut butter, Sesame oil, tamari, vinegar, sriracha, honey, grated ginger,and garlic in a bowl.
- Heat it on the stove for 1 minute on low. Whisk until it's completely smooth. Alternatively ,Microwave it for 30 seconds, mix, and set aside.
Spicy Tofu & Zoodles
- Heat a nonstick pan. Add the tofu along with half the peanut butter and Chili sauce. Sauté it in the pan until the sauce evaporates and the tofu caramelizes.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the zoodles along with a Tablespoon of sauce. Toss and cook on medium heat for 10-20 seconds (it should still hold shape)
- Scoop the zoodles in a large bowl and top it with the tofu. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and peanuts.