This is the only way to make Thai Red Curry is with homemade Thai Curry Paste ! I know I am in a mortal danger of sounding snooty but I plead you to hear me out.
There is nothing that compares to a Homemade Thai red curry paste.Even if you take shortcuts or swap ingredients with what's available locally.I always pick up Thai ingredients whenever they are available.I freeze everything- from the Kaffir lime leaves,galangal,lemon grass and the chillies.
They are not always available but the urge to indulge in a steaming hot bowl of Red Thai Curry with rice can strike anytime.So one needs to be prepared.
Most ingredients listed are easily available in India now except maybe the red dried spur chillies.You could use dried Kashmiri Chillies instead but expect a change in the flavour profile.
Vegetables and Protein for Thai Red Curry
Thai curry is very versatile.You can make it with anything you want.
Most vegetables that cook fast work well in it but small eggplants,bak choy and red peppers are my absolute favourite additions.You can add zucchini,beans,spinach or even pumpkin to it.
When it comes to protein - prawn works really well with the spicy curry and shaved thin slices of chicken also cut the spice and add great body to the curry.Tofu and Paneer, both can be used for a vegetarian option.
Red Thai Curry Paste
- 8-10 Dried Red Spur Chillies Soaked in hot water
- 1-2 Thai bird Chillies preferably red
- 3 tablespoon White peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 5-6 Shallots
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Grass
- 2 tablespoon coriander roots
- 1 tablespoon Galangal
- ½ Skin of Kaffir Lime or grate the zest of a normal lime
- ½ teaspoon Shrimp Paste optional
Thai Red Curry
- 2 Cups of Coconut milk
- 1 Cup Vegetables- Mushrooms aubergines,pak choy
- 1 Chicken breast- Sliced thin if using
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery/palm Sugar
- 6-10 Thai Basil leaves use ordinary in a pinch
Thai Red Curry Paste
- Deseed the soaked dried red chillies.
- Take all the ingredients listed under thai curry paste and grind them into a paste.Add water if required- 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Store refrigerated in an air tight jar till 1 month
Thai Red Curry
- Heat the oil in a pan.Add 2 tablespoon of the curry paste and saute.
- if using Chicken,Add the chicken breast- cook for 2-3 minutes.Add in the vegetables next and cook till they are cooked.They should be soft but hold shape.
- Add the coconut milk and jaggery.Bring to boil.
- Garnish with thai basil leaves and serve hot with rice.