This has been in the “draft” stage since I stumbled upon the novice housewife blog.I have made a pizza with this recipe about 5 times now and it’s been a winner every single time.I love the fact that it’s a whole wheat recipe so I use the regular roti aata or flour.I had aashirwaad multigrain aata at home and that’s what I used in this recipe.You could use all purpose flour or maida or the refined flour.
The pizza sauce is my now goto and ever easy to make-roasted tomato sauce on this pizza.If you think making homemade sauce is a hassle give this recipe a try.It’s super duper easy and you can make a large batch and freeze.I have also used wingreen’s pesto sauce in the past to make a pesto pizza for my mom which was quite good.
Now about the elephant in the room.The teeny weeny creature called YEAST!
In the past, I have struggled working with instant yeast but this recipe has been a sure shot winner every single time.Things to keep in mind when working with yeast is
- Buy in small quantities and once the box has been opened ,use it within a month’s time.
- Use lukewarm water.(It’s the temperature where if it was coffee it would taste awful but still warm.)
- Do not add salt to the water.Salt kills the yeast.
- Add half a tsp of sugar or honey to help the yeast multiply.
- Leave the yeast undisturbed for 15-20 minutes.
I have used Portobello mushroom as a topping just cause I found it in the market and I wanted to give it a try on a pizza.You could use mushrooms, corn, zucchini, olives, salami, bacon, chicken, paneer, tikkas,egg..the list is endless.You could also use keema or seekh kabab for an indian twist.
You can make the recipe diabetic friendly by going heavy on the veggies or protein and light on the cheese.
Now for the pizza baking.I wish I had a wood fired oven but obviously i can’t have it at home(obviously,it’s gigantic!)!My friend uses a pizza stone , though she says it’s difficult to maneuver.I have adopted the same idea and used the sheet pan as a stone.What you need to do is preheat your oven for at least 20 minutes before the actual baking at your highest temperature setting(Mine is 250 degrees) and keep the pan inside for that duration.When you want to put the pizza inside for baking , slip it along with the baking paper on the hot sheet pan.Homemade whole wheat pizza
I have tried to make an animation for you guys to make the process easier to understand.Hope it helps.
- In a bowl add the yeast,warm water and honey and set aside for 15-20 minutes till frothy.
- Add the herb oil,seasoning,salt to the flour and mix.
- Add the yeast water and combine using hand or machine.
- Add the 1/4 cup water.Add more water if required.
- Knead for 2-5 minutes till you get a soft slightly sticky dough.
- Brush the dough with oil and keep in a covered bowl for 1 hour undisturbed.After an hour the dough should have doubled in size.
- Take roughly cricket ball sized dough.Using your fingertips flatten the dough on a baking papere to create a thin base.Oil your fingers a bit to make this step easier.
- Spread the tomato sauce.Add the cheese.
- Top with vegetables or meat.
- Drizzle some herb oil for good measure(optional)
- Bake on the top shelf of a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes at 250 degrees till the cheese is bubbling and the sides of the pizza base are golden brown.