If you get your basic vanilla cake recipe right then you can make just about a zillion cakes with it.All you need to master is that one recipe. In this post I want to show you how you can tweak one recipe to create multiple cakes.
This is my go to recipe for any celebration cakes now.I made two cakes and sandwiched them with an easy peasy fresh strawberry compote(strawberry+sugar+water-boil=Strawberry compote!!!) and decorated with buttercream frosting and voilà a beautiful delicate celebration cake.The buttercream recipe is here
Add a fruit to this recipe and make the best tea time accompaniment.I made blueberry baked donuts and a strawberry upside cake using this same recipe.Both disappeared as soon as they came out of the oven.
Change the mold and add a frosting it becomes a cupcake.I made around 40 mini cupcakes using this recipe and decorated them with colorful buttercream frosting.
If you do tweak the recipe then be sure not to change first 9 ingredients.Play around with the fruits/dry fruits/artificial flavours/colors and shapes and size of the cake.If you are reducing the size of the cake reduce the baking time along with it.
If you feel the top of the cake is burning but its undercooked inside use an aluminium foil to cover it and bake for more time.
- unsalted cooking butter 1 cup i used amul at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all purpose flour maida
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh or dry fruit as required.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cream/whisk together the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time.
- In a bowl mix the flour,salt,baking powder and baking soda together and mix well.
- Add the 1/3 of the dry mixture and mix well.Add 1/2 the buttermilk.Add the 1/3 flour mixture.Add the rest of the buttermilk followed by rest of the flour mixture.
- Combine well but do not over whisk the batter.
- Distribute the batter in prepared cupcake/donut or cake pans.
- if baking a cake-Bake for 35-40 minutes or till the skewer inserted inside comes out clean.
- If baking cupcakes or donut-Bake for 10-12 minutes or till the skewer inserted inside comes out clean.
If the cake looks too brown but is not cooked cover it with aluminium foil and bake for another 10 minutes and check again.
Buttermilk-I added one cup of curd and half a cup of water to make the buttermilk.
I have used the below products for making of this cake which can be easily bought online in india.