It’s sheer serendipity that I came across this beautifully written article by Shonali Muthalaly on the GOODFOOD supplement of The Hindu(sidebar-I wish I could write even a sentence like her!). She talks about how she went on a search of black sticky rice and found a version grown right here in Karnataka!She has shared a slew of amazing resources from where you can order locally grown food stuff online.That was when I decided to do a recipe which showcases these homegrown superfoods.What better to create a recipe with chickpeas or as we call it locally “chole”.
Superfood like millets,Ragi,Chia seeds and Chickpeas are staples in certain pockets of india. I am sure there are a lot of other superfoods hidden in indian cuisine waiting to be discovered by the world..and we will probably appreciate it once it is touted as the next best thing for mankind to eat by some new diet guru in USA.
I confess, At this very moment I have them all lined up in my amazon cart for my cousins and uncles to carry back from US so that I can also make the stuff that’s so popular on social media.
The first time I ate barley was at my surprise birthday brunch in Glasshouse.I have to say most of the food was sub par and pretty blah but the barley salad and vegetarian tagine was really good.(Sidebar 2-Don’t waste your money in glasshouse)
If you are looking to avoid gluten and eat something healthy ,filling and vegan this is a good option.I boiled the barley and chickpeas but you can used the canned versions too.
-Keep the lettuce extra crispy by dipping it in ice water.
-Grinding and mixing the dressing in mortar and pestle will release more flavours
- Apple cider vinegar-1 tbsp
- Sugar or Honey skip if trying to avoid sugar-1/2 tsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Basil-5-6 leaves
- Garlic cloves-2
- Extra Virgin Olive oil-1/2 tsp
- Boiled Chickpeas-1/2 cup
- Boiled Barley-1/2 cup
- Onion-Sliced-1/2 cup
- Tomato-1/2 cup
- Iceberg Lettuce-1/2 cup
- Avocado sliced -1/2
For the dressing
- Bash the basil leaves in a mortar and pestle.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix using the pestle.
For the Salad
- Soak the chickpeas overnight and boil them for one hour.
- The Barley can be boiled in triple the amount of water for 40 minutes.
- If you are not serving the salad immediately plate the individual ingredients in a bowl.>
- Toss everything together with the dressing just before serving.