I have recently become addicted to nuts(dry fruits dude!).Before I used to snack on bread or desserts(Yeah I know!) But nowadays I make trail mixes at home which contain all kinds of nuts and seeds.
My husband once was so hungry in his office that he ate his own bag!Ok he ate chocolate,but it might as well have been a bag cause in his mouth, chocolate tastes like cardboard.It’s good for me cause I don’t have to share..:D..Anyhow, to stop such future atrocities from happening,I pack him a jar of trail mix every week.
My trail mix is usually a mix of almonds,cashews,walnuts,pumpkin and sunflower seeds and raisins or dried cranberries.It’s simple and it utilises all the dry fruits you get during diwali.Keep this box in your office drawer,car or your handbag and I guarantee you will not succumb to snacking on dessert!
While it’s an amazing snack ,the trail mix is also great for sprinkling over cereal,oats,salads and smoothies. Today’s chicken dish centered around my trail mix.Though it doesn’t seem so , the filling is made from a handful of my trail mix and a few sprigs of coriander & mint.
Most of the stuffed chicken recipes available on the internet are cheese based.Though it certainly warms my heart but also roadblocks my precious arteries! So I was stuck , thinking of a recipe without cheese for around 3 days till I decided to WOMAN up and sliced my chicken through forcing me to come up with a filling within next few minutes.As usual my hand automatically moved towards the snack box ,in times of distress. Thats when the proverbial bulb swicted on!Crispy Skin Chicken stuffed with trail mix
The first time I served it with some garlic sautéed potatoes and blanched beans.The second time I made them I was out of beans so i had to improvise with asparagus.
I have already once written about how to cook a perfect chicken breast in 6 minutes.Here I have used a Chicken Breast with the skin on and hence the technique is a little different.This Chicken breast takes 2 minutes more than the earlier post to crisp up the skin.Also to keep the moisture in I followed Jamie Oliver’s genius trick of placing a wet butterpaper on the chicken while cooking so that it retains all its juices.
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 2 Raisin
- 1 tsp Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 Almonds
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 2-3 Mint Leaves
- 1 tsp Oil
- 8-10 Asparagus
- Salt to Taste
- Grind the raisins,sunflower seeds,pumpkin seeds and almonds with coriander leaves and mint in a food processor with 1 tsp of water to create a coarse paste.
- Slice the chicken Breast from the center to create a pocket.
- Stuff the chicken with the trail mixture
- Season the chicken with Salt and Brush with oil on both sides
- Heat a pan over medium heat.Place the chicken skin side down.Cover with moist butter paper.Cook for 3 minutes till the side is seared golden.
- Turn and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Skin side down chicken on the pan
- To make the skin crispy turn the chicken skin side down.Place a heavy lid/plate directly on the chicken and cook over low heat for another 2 minute.
- Slice and serve
- Heat the same pan where you cooked the chicken.
- Add the asparagus.There is no need of adding oil or fat as the pan already has the juices from the chicken.
- Saute.Season with Salt and Serve with the Chicken
Step by Step making of Stuffed Chicken Breast