My friends are hogs.They might be hoity toity with their clothes,languages and holidays but when it comes to chicken wings they are definitely completely boorish.I am not just hypothesizing here,I have good solid proof.I had 15 guests home for brunch (including me and Abhishek) out of which 2 people didn’t eat chicken so thats just 13 people..who finished 48 wings between themselves in one afternoon..and thats just half of my point…This small mountain range was consumed in conjunction with vietnamese summer rolls,nachos,mutton sliders and chocolate pinwheels. Amm and lunch, which was Mexican rice with tequila chicken and a red sauce pasta and..two kinds of cheese cakes.
Believe me when I say ,I had no leftovers!
I won’t claim to have come up with this recipe.I was inspired by Chef Gordan Ramsey’s show on the TV where he cooked these wings for his family.These chicken wings are a perfect mix of sweet and sour and umami.The main ingredient,here other than the chicken wings,is Tamarind!Spicy Tamarind Chicken Wings
Don’t be afraid of using the fish sauce.It wont smell or taste weird.Take my word for it.But if you are still wary you can omit it.Depending on the number of wings I am making ,I either bake or pan fry them.I have included both the methods here.
- Chicken Wings-12 cut into two so thats 24 pieces
- Thick Tamarind Pulp-1 cup
- Salt-1 tablespoon to taste
- Brown Sugar-3 tablespoon
- Fish Sauce-1 tablespoon
- Garlic-chopped or paste-1 tablespoon
- Chili Powder-1 tablespoon
- Oil-1/2 tablespoon
- Spring Onions for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients other than chicken.Taste and adjust.The marinade has to be extra spicy and sweet.The spice and sweet always goes down when the chicken is cooked.
- Marinade for 12 hours in the fridge.
- Spread them on a baking sheet.Keep the left over marinade for later.
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees and bake the chicken wings for 20 minutes.
- At the 20 minute mark brush the left over marinade on the chicken(this is called basting)
- Bake for another 20 minutes till the wings are brown and charred.
Pan Sautéed Method
- Heat the skillet or the pan for 30 seconds on high flame.
- Place the wings on the pan and make sure they are not on top of each other.Don't overcrowd the pan.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes on one side.Turn the wings on the other side and cook for another 10 minutes till they achieve the char you want.