I have wanted to roast a whole chicken since starting the whole30 journey.I have made it a few times in the past with a melange of random sauces,spices and filling but never an Indian chicken roast .My first try at roasting a chicken was 2 years ago which turned out to be extremely comical cause the poor bird was lacking a few limbs.I had asked my husband to get me a whole chicken and what I got was a skin less and leg less chicken. It also took us a while to figure out was how to carve the bird and the extra extra large long knife which my well meaning doctor friend bought to help us carve didn’t really help as much.Incidentally , he was present when I roasted this chicken too.
When you are buying a whole chicken to roast remember to ask for a chicken with skin with the giblets and neck removed.
If you have the time I suggest you brine the chicken overnight. Brining is dipping the chicken overnight in salted and spiced water. I usually boil enough water to fully submerge the whole chicken with some salt,bay leaves and peppercorns. Once the brine has cooled I submerge the whole chicken in it and refrigerate it for 4-12 hours.Brining the chicken makes the meat tender and juicy and enhances the flavours.
I made this Indian Roast Chicken on an impulse just because.It is a whole 30 complaint and paleo approved recipe. I carved the chicken and ate it with roast veggies the first day and second day I converted it into a Chicken Tikka Masala Curry.You can do a gazillion things with this roast chicken.Make it into a curry or stuff a paratha with it or stack it into a sandwich or make a lettuce wrap.You can also use the chicken bones to make a broth for a soup.
Spicy Indian Whole Chicken Roast
- Whole Chicken-with skin
- Potato-2 cubed
- Onion-1 cubed
- Carrot-1 cubed
- Garlic cloves-5 smashed
- Olive Oil -2 tbsp
- Cumin-2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder-1 tbsp
- Instant Coffee-1 tbsp
- Paprika or Kashmiri Chilli powder-1 tbsp
- Garlic Flakes or minced Garlic-1 tbsp
- Rosemary-1 tbsp
- Salt-1 tbsp or more as per taste.
- Mix all the spices together.Add one lemon’s juice.
- Rub the Chicken with the spice mix using your hands.
- Place a lemon(halved) inside the chicken cavity. Use a thread or kitchen twine to tie the legs together.Refrigerate covered for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Toss the onion.potato,carrot and smashed garlic cloves in 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.Season with a pinch of salt.
- Cover the roasting tin with the mixed vegetables.
- Place the chicken breast side down on top of the vegetables.Drizzle 1 tbsp of oil or use a brush to brush it on the chicken.(Make sure breast side is kept down as that’s the part that can be easily overcooked)
- Cook the chicken for 30 minutes in the oven. Brush the leftover oil at this point and add 2 tablespoon of water for the vegetables and cook for another 20 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and test whether its cooked.To test if the chicken has cooked pierce the chicken near the point where the leg is attached to the chicken body with a sharp knife.id the juices ooze out abundantly the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the Chicken from the pan. Deglaze the roasting tin with some water. Add the veggies and the juices from the tin to a non stick pan and cook further.
- Carve and serve the chicken with roasted veggies!