Spinach is good for you..my mom says it..my father says it!(reluctantly)..Popoye says it..so it must be true!
But eating boiled spinach is just yuck! No amount of sophistication can make boiled spinach tasty.That’s the fact of life…All nutritious food tastes bleh and all empty calories which give you love handles taste amazing!(Chocolate cake come to Mamma!!!)
I refuse to eat steamed or boiled spinach but I do have some recipes up my sleeve to make spinach palatable actually enjoyable.The first being a Quiche.Second being Palak Paneer and this recipe stands at the third place-Pasta in Spinach Sauce.
The sauce is simple enough..no baking..no roasting…It’s actually a spin on béchamel sauce with added spinach puree which gives it a lovely light greet hue.You could use any kind of pasta with this sauce and even bake it like a Au gratin with veggies or chicken or make lasagnae.That’s the beauty of mastering sauces..They can be used in endless ways..Spaghetti in Spinach Béchamel Sauce
I realise I don’t have a recipe of béchamel sauce on the blog.I will correct that soon!It is the easiest sauce you will ever make and whats more people think its fancy when it’s actually just butter, flour and milk!
This recipe was also printed in Child Magazine,India November 2017 issue(Yayie me!).This is extremely child friendly..suffice it to say my 8 month old baby eats it..
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Maida/All purpose flour
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 each Red and Yellow capsicum/bell pepper -cut into squares
- Salt to Taste
- 1 cup Cooked Spaghetti as per packet instructions
- Cook the spaghetti as per the packet instructions
- Blanch and puree the spinach.(Blanch- Boil water.Add the spinach for 10 seconds and remove)
- Add butter to a pan, let it melt at medium heat.
- Add the maida once the butter has melted and saute
- Add the milk and keep mixing with a spoon.Once the mixture seems smooth and the butter, maida and milk has combined add the spinach puree.
- Now add the bell peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes till the sauce is bubbling.
- Add the spaghetti and serve!