Its hilarious when you overdo at the gym and walk out a second later fall on your ass and make a twisty out of your leg.And just like that you are cloistered for 3 weeks with a ligament tear!
I had to cancel a number of my commitments for those weeks but still ended up attending a youth camp(for not so youthful me) in Pune as a chaperone to my husbands 15 year old brother. The universe is shoving the fact that i am old now literally every two days on my face!Otherwise how do you explain the ligament tear when that’s pretty standard fall of mine.Give me 3 steps and watch me fall..but this time just to prove a point..take a ligament tear free!
But the cherry on top was that the youth camp was an amazing place! I assumed there will be a lot of meditation and lectures and simple indian food served twice a day but what we got was a resort like facility fully equipped with a sports activities and apparently an ex Taj chef! I couldn’t take part in any of the sports or yoga..Hmmmfff…but the food was an experience in itself.
Unlike Sivananda Ashram where I went for a 15 day Yoga camp in february which served only malayali vegetarian food twice a day ,Vedanta Academy served a milieu of continental meals. Most of the food was Vegan but absolutely delish!If I had known about this camp as a kid I would be a food connoisseur by now! i mean which camp serves Thai green curry with soy glazed sesame potatoes, vegan chocolate cake and custard , south african delicacy of Bunny Chow and Missal Pav! They even served us hot chocolate for breakfast one day , which I drank in greed instead of my normal black tea and suffered a relentless onslaught of small explosions in my head the whole day(for the lack of caffeine.yeah am an addict!!).But the best thing I ate there was a simple salad of fresh juicy tomatoes with an olive oil and oregano seasoning.(i went for fourths!)
After this foodvaganza ,I went to mommyland and ate parathas for breakfast lunch and dinner. I was specially greedy because my mother was making them for me after 2 years and all her attention was on two of her best children..Me and Milo(my beagle)..:D..There is literally nothing like mother’s food.
So after all this fat piling food I am ready to start my whole 30 –II on June 1.Till then you will see all the not so paleo/ whole30 dishes which I have dreamed about for sometime now!
To start with I have made ,not so precise looking rice paper rolls.These are vegan which means only plant-based food.It’s looks pretty easy when you read the instructions but mine came out in different sizes and shapes.
It’s a great recipe if you want to involve your kids or inept partners into cooking.It’s also a great way to get veggies into veggie phobic people like my husband.He ate 7 of these and has been trying to convince me since then to give him these everyday as snacks.
It’s also a great party food which can be made in advance and refrigerated.They only become better in the fridge.There is no right or wrong way of doing this so go crazy with any veggies you love.Shrimps,eggs and meat can also be used in these rolls.Rainbow Veggies
- Peanuts-1/2 cup/Peanut Butter-3 tbsp
- Soy sauce-1 tbsp
- Water-1 tbsp
- Vinegar-1 tbsp
- Chilli Flakes-1 tsp tea spoon
- Sesame-to sprinkle
- Roast the peanuts on a low flame for 3 minutes or till they are toasted.
- In a food processor grind the peanuts into a fine paste to make peanut butter
- Add the soy sauce,water,vinegar,chilli flakes and blitz well in the food processor.
- Add more water if you want a thinner dipping sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds
- Rice paper sheets-(I used Real Thai)-8
- Carrots julienned-1/2 cup
- Lettuce-8 leaves
- Mint-3-5 leaves
- Green Pepper/capsicum-Julienned-1/2 cup
- Red Pepper/capsicum-Julienned-1/2 cup
- Purple cabbage-Shredded-1/2 cup
- Julienned-1/2 cup
- Soak the sheets in water for 2-3 seconds.
- Remove from water and Place on a tea towel for 1 minute.
- Place on a plate.Roll the veggies in a lettuce leaf.
- Place on the bottom of the rice paper sheet.Place the vegetable you want to display on the roll above the lettuce.
- Fold the paper on lettuce.Fold in the corners.
- Roll the rest of the sheet and voila roll number 1 is ready.
- You can also follow the folding technique here