The first time I heard about Ratatouille was through my brother.I don’t know where he tasted it but he was so awed by it that he came back home and tried his hand at making it.It was funny when he discovered that the dish contained brinjal cause he used to always fight with my mom whenever she made the traditional Baigan Bharta at home(Aubergine).
The second time I heard about it was in the movie Ratatouille in 2007.The movie is about a mouse who wants to be a chef ,whose signature dish is a Ratatouille.What better dish for a Rat to make than a “Rat”atouille. It tickled me something funny when I first saw the promo of the movie! Let me come clean before your imagination goes wild- It’s a vegetarian dish with nothing related to a Rat!
Ratatouille is a fresh vegetable stew which originated from Nice,France , usually served as a side with protein but can be served in itself as a meal.It’s a great recipe for paleo and whole30 followers cause it’s an original recipe sans the taboo elements(dairy,grain,legumes,sugar,alcohol,preservatives).I ate this for lunch and used this as a filling for my husbands sandwich for the day.It also works very well with rice.
There are several ways of making it , traditional being sautéing each vegetable separately,making a sauce and then layering and stewing these veggies together in the sauce.I opted for a simpler version of creating the sauce,layering the veggies and baking it in the oven for 50 minutes.
Your knife work is important for this dish as the zucchini and eggplant need to be sliced very thin and layered on top of the tomato mixture.Alternatively you can use a mandoline if you own one.
- Aubergine-1/2 cup-sliced thin
- Green-1/2 cup-sliced thin
- Yellow-1/2 cup-sliced thin
- [cap id="attachment_1998" align="aligncenter" width="3216"]Thinly sliced Veggies for Ratatouille[/cap]
- Basil-8 leaves
- Yellow pepper /capsicum-1/4 cup -Chopped
- Apple Cider Vinegar 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic-2 cloves-sliced
- Salt-to taste
- Heat a pot of water and bring it to boil.Prepare a bowl of cold water with ice.
- Cut an "X" on the base of each tomato.Submerge in the boiling water for 10 -15 seconds.
- Remove from the boiling water and plunge into the cold water.Set aside to cool.
- Remove/peel the skin of the tomatos.De seed and chop.
- Add 1 tsp of oil in a pan.Saute the garlic.Add the chopped blanched skinless tomato , the yellow capsicum or pepper and Basil leaves in it.Season it with salt.
Cook till the tomato has started to disintegrate(about 10 minutes).Add 2 tablespoon of water and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a shallow baking dish spread the tomato and yellow capsicum mixture.
Layer the green zucchini,aubergine(eggplant/Brinjal) and yellow zucchini on top of the tomato mix.
- Sprinkle with salt from a height.Brush with little oil.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
Garnish with Basil flowers.