One warning before you go on to make this dish ,till I am still smarting with the chillies I put in the salad.This salad absorbs everything you put in it and enhances the flavours many fold so don’t be trigger happy with the red chillies like I was!
My usual foray into Star Bazaar to buy tomatoes ended up with me spending Rs 700.But this time I was smart.I saw a raw papaya tagged as Rs 350 in the “exotic” aisle and just as I was reaching for it I decided to curtail my budget,after all I have already spent this month’s budget last month so I am literally a pauper at the moment.Well , as in the typical hindi movie style scene I turned in slow motion and found myself staring at a normal good old papaya which the south indian grandma’s use , ever so often in their sambhar and decided to go for it.What did i have to lose anyways!it was for Rs 20!
So here I was ,armed with a new mandolin(all for Rs 170 from star bazaar) and the raw papaya and off I went grating it into oblivion.Mixed with one carrot and a good old sprinkling of the easiest dressing ever made and voila! Behold Raw Papaya Salad!
- 2 cups Raw Papaya- Grated/Shredded green in color
- 1 Cup Carrot-grated
- 10 Mint Leaves
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce (substitute with soy sauce to make the vegetarian version)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice 1 whole lemon
- 1/2 tbsp Brown Sugar substitute with Coconut Sugar to make it Paleo approved
- Salt to taste i used pink himalayan salt-1/2 tsp
- 1 Chilli i used two
- 5-6 Coriander Sprigs
- 2 Lemon wedges
- 6-7 Roasted Peanuts/Cashews
- Put the dressing together.Taste and adjust the sugar/salt according to your taste.
- Mix the papaya,carrot and mint leaves together.Sprinkle with the dressing and mix.
- Garnish with cashews and coriander.