Introducing our son “Vansh” to all you guys! This burst of cuteness graced us on 12 Feb 2017.I want to say it was the happiest day of my life but that’s not accurate.Everyday my happiness grows with Vansh.
As much as my pregnancy was difficult (or annoying) because of my gestational diabetes,with having to take 4 injections everyday and extreme diet control ,his arrival was extremely fuss free .I want to say I actually had fun in the operation theatre but I will sound like a psychopath so instead I will say it was pretty chilled out (pun intended).I am sure it wasn’t me but the muscle relaxants they gave me but it was a wonderful experience! I went to Manipal Hospital and would recommend it to everybody and my doctor is a Superstar! (Just saying)
My mother was with me for the first three months post delivery. I can tell you this-I have new respect for her now. Not because of what I went through but because of how much she helped me! I think I would have positively gone berserk without her around.I don’t think there is any other time a girl needs her mother more than post delivery.
Now that my mom has gone back to her place, I have no time to eat, clean and even go to the bathroom at times but I am determined to celebrate all of my baby’s monthly birthdays! First two months were easy with my mom around. I made a chocolate cake for the first month and a mango chunky cake for the second monthly birthday but this month working under pressure took a new meaning.Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake
First,my pantry was empty so I had to run down to buy flour and sugar. It wasn’t really running but a well planned operation.I had to fed,burp,change and dress the baby and strap him in my kolkol carrier to step out.
I needed ten minutes to put the cake inside the oven and I thought it would be a peace of cake.My angelic baby let me patiently weighed out my ingredients and I thought to myself “this is so doable , I don’t know why people complain!” Just when I mixed my batter baby V started wailing his lungs out like he saw tsunami launching towards him! Well suffice it to say it took 5 songs sung in my not so melodious slightly baritonish voice, 10 minutes of vigorous jumping , 8 minutes of embarrassing dancing, one story book and a change of nappy to calm him down.Phew!
I went back to my cake, prepared my springform pan and poured the batter in, and lo and behold my baby started to wail again! It should have taken half a second but my springform pan decided to give up just as I shoved it inside the oven!
So I had batter everywhere and a wailing baby and an oven waiting to be “ovening”.
Rocking the baby with one hand ,I scooped the cake into another pan in the most Neanderthal way possible(with my hands dummy) And shoved the cake inside the oven! phew!!
Despite all the mishaps the cake was one of the best I have ever made. The ganache was also extremely simple. I didn’t have cream so I figured if I put less milk it should give similar texture and it did!Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake
Recipe has been adapted from http://www.wellplated.com/peanut-butter-cake/
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature(I used the salty and hence skipped on extra salt)
- 1 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract homemade-vanilla pods in vodka
- 1/2 cups Dark chocolate bar smashed I used Amul 50 % Dark Chocolate
- Dark chocolate-50 gms i used Amul 70 % dark Chocolate
- 4 spoons of milk
- 1 tbsp Peanut butter
- Chocolate chips to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Beat the butter and peanut butter together. It is important that all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Add the sugar and beat again(or whisk).
- Add the eggs and the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Mix the flour and baking powder.Add to the egg mixture slowly and mix well.
- Bake for 40 minutes till the inserted skewer comes clean.
- Let the cake cool.
- Microwave all chocolate,milk and peanut butter together for 30 seconds.Using a spoon mix.
- Repeat the process 2 more times till the chocolate has fully melted and is of desired consistency.
- (Note:The ganache always becomes thicker when cooled.)
- Pour the ganache on the cake.Sprinkle with choco chips.