I can’t stop myself from raving about this Mushroom & Spinach Oats Khichadi. Recently, I have started on a slightly more controlled diet and introduced a lot more fibre in my otherwise sad state, extremely high carb diet.
Replacing Rice and wheat with other grains and millets was the highest on my todo list.I can’t say I have been super successful cause it’s only been a couple of days but I am loving recreating magic with simple ingredients.After eating desi khichadi for two days, I was itching to try something new with it and this happened.
Steelcut Oats are not only gluten free, they are also very high on fibre which means that eating them will keep you full for longer! The oats along with the Moong Dal makes it a much more balanced meal than something like a rice khichadi.
The Mushrooms and oregano off course glam up the the desi simple khichadi into a fancy .This simple change breaks the monotony and makes you so much more happy!
How to make Mushroom & Spinach Oats Khichadi without a pressure cooker
Owning a pressure cooker for sure makes life easy.You dont have to keep track of the cooking because the loud whistles dont let you forget the pot on the stove.Though if you dont have one then you can either use in Instant Pot or use a normal sauce pan instead.
To cook the Mushroom & Spinach Oats Khichadi in a normal pot, increase the water to 1.5 cups and cook it covered for 20-30 minutes till the dal is cooked and mushy.
- 2 tbsp Steel Cut Oats
- 2 tbsp Moong Dal Split Mung Bean
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Cup Mushrooms - Quartered
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt to Taste
- Pressure Cook the Steel cut oats,Moong Dal and Tomato with 1 cup of water for 3-4 whistles
- Add oil in a pan.Heat on High and add the garlic.
- To that, add the mushrooms and cook till they release their juices and brown a bit.This could take 10-12 minutes.
- Add the spinach and the dried oregano.
- Cook the Spinach till it wilts.
- Add the pressure cooked oats and Moong Dal and mix well.
More such healthy recipes for you!
Italian White Butter Beans and Tomato Stew
Healthy Cheese Muffins
Chocolate Oats Brownies | Gluten Free