Today I bring to you a very often made recipe- Herb & Paprika Roast Chicken.
but before that..I want to talk about Christmas..but if you don’t want to read about why I love Christmas go on and scroll down!
There is no other season better than the Christmas season!If I had to forsake every other festival but one I would keep Christmas.
I adore everything about it from the Christmas tree, to the lights, the ornaments, the gifts in the stockings,christmas carols, red caps and the plum cake!…oh such magic!
Whats your favourite part about Christmas?Mine is tie between the carols and the plum cake.I am not kidding but I have been singing Merry Christmas to baby Vansh since he was born..:D
My all time dream is to one day be in a place like Germany or New York midst all the snow and the Christmas joy..making snowmen and rolling in the snow…and maybe hopefully invited to eat an authentic Christmas dinner in someones house!
For now I will contend with just making a gigantic feast for friends and family on Christmas.This Chicken was a rehearsal for my Christmas Dinner.I can’t wait to start decorating my house with all things Santa and fairy.
Herb & Paprika Roast Chicken is something which I have made since last few Christmases and I have learnt a few tricks to make the juiciest roast chicken.
- Skin-Always but chicken with skin while roasting it in the oven.The skin gives it moisture and also makes sure that the juices inside do not evaporate.
- Brine Brine Brine- Make a simple brine of salt, bay leaf and pepper.Immerse the chicken in the Brine overnight in the fridge for a succulent and super tender chicken.
- Timing-Do not over bake the Chicken.A 1- 1.5 kg(2-3 pound) chicken usually gets done in about 45 minutes to 1 hour.Nothing more than that.
- How to Check if its cooked-To check if the chicken is cooked pierce the chicken between the chicken leg and body.Clean juices should ooze out.You can also use a thermometer and check the thigh temperature.It should read anywhere between 165-170 degree F or 75 C.
As this chicken is roasted with skin you don’t need to add any oil or butter to it.So its a quite healthy main course.
- 1 whole Chicken With Skin
- 1 tbsp Paprika/Kashmiri chilli
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Lemon
- Sprigs of Rosemary
- Few leaves of Sage
- 15-20 Small Potatos
- Wash the chicken gently.Pat it dry with a paper Towel.Set Aside.
- Mix all the spices-paprika,thyme,oregano,parsley,salt together.
- Rub the spice mix on the chicken skin.Sprinkle some inside the cavity too.
- Cut the lemon into two.Along with the Rosemary sprigs &. Sage Leaves put them inside the Chicken Cavity.
- Using a kitchen twine/thread tie the legs toghether.
- Cover the roasting sheet/pan with foil.
- Place the chicken breast side up on the roasting pan and tuck the wings under.Cut the potatoes into two and place them on the roasting pan around the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and bake it in the oven for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- If the chicken is browning too much tent it with aluminium foil and continue cooking.
- At 40 minute mark check by piercing the chicken thigh if the chicken is cooked.If it oozes clear juices then it is cooked.Otherwise continue cooking
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add salt to the potatoes and toss them with the pan juices.Bake them for 15-20 minutes in the oven till crispy and golden brown.
To check if the chicken is cooked pierce the thigh.Clear juices should ooze out once the chicken is cooked.You can also check with a cooking thermometer.It should read 165 F or 75 C.