I have managed to surprise a few folks with this dish. Eggplant Parmesan or Eggplant Parmigiana as known in italy is the answer to vegetarian woes in Italian cuisine. Its our good old baingan made with an italian twist.The very same one used to make the humble everyday baingan bharta.
It’s the cinderella story repeated but for the eggplant in this case..:D..Dressed up in homemade roasted tomato sauce and parmesan it’s become a vegetarian bestseller dish in my family.
The tomato sauce used for this recipe is from this post. This sauce can be used for pizza,pastas and any bakes. I usually bake a big batch and store it in airtight jars in my fridge for quick yummy meals.I made a very similar dish with chicken instead and served it with baguette for an impromptu india pakistan cricket match party. You can also use store bought pasta sauce for this recipe.
I have added mushrooms and spinach to this recipe but you can omit it if you don’t have them.Eggplant Parmesan
On a separate note, I have just started using a cast iron skillet and I am pretty happy with it.Its very versatile in its use.I can use it on the stove and in the oven and also serve in it.Though I am somewhat clueless still about cleaning it.When I wash it I see a rusty layer formed on top and I am not sure whether that’s okay or not.If you have any suggestions please leave a note!
- Eggplant/Baingan/Brinjal-1 big one
- Tomato sauce-2 cups
- Cheese-parmesan-1/2 cup if you don't find parmesan-use cheddar or processed cheese
- Cheese-cheddar-1/2 cup
- Bread crumbs-1 cup
- Egg-1 for vegetarian option substitute egg with milk
- Vegetable Oil-2 tbsp
- Spinach-1 cup optional
- Mushrooms-1/2 cup optional
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees
- Cut the eggplant to get 0.5 cm thick disks.
- Dip the eggplant slice in egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry in the oil till golden brown from both sides.
- In a oven proof dish or cast iron skillet add half the sauce.
- Add one layer of eggplant,spinach and mushrooms.Add cheddar cheese.Repeat with one more layer.
- Add the remaining sauce on the last layer.
- Top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or till the cheese is brown and bubbling.
For a skinny version of the dish omit cheese
The dish can be assembled the night before and baked when it has to be served.
The dish can be eaten as is or with toasted bread.
I have used the below products for this dish