Sometimes the simplest ingredients available in your pantry come together in the most bewildering taste.This is the case with peanut butter,sesame,soy and honey.They have extremely different flavor profiles but together they create a magic like no other.
Add to this crunchy freshness of cucumber just rounds off the dish to give the dish multiple textural dimensions.
These Soba noodles in peanut sauce with red pepper and english cucumber is everything you could want on a lazy day.The balance is such that every ingredient has something to offer.Every texture has something to say.
The peanut sauce has an umami taste which complements the freshness of the other ingredients.It’s so good that i have already made these 4 times in the past 6 days.
Seeing how amazing the sesame seeds are with peanut butter i think i need to buy tahini sauce too.Tahini is basically a paste of sesame seeds.You can see from the picture that I have also added nigella seeds as a garnish.
This recipe reminds me of the rice paper rolls i made around a year back!I have some of the peanut sauce left from this dish,maybe i should make the rice paper rolls again!
My sister in law bought these Soba Noodles for me from Japan.It’s difficult to find them in India though I am sure if i tried hard enough I will find them.These are brown noodles made of Arrowroot flour and Wheat flour and hence make it to the healthy category.If you don’t have these on hand try using normal noodles or even vermicelli instead.
You do find soba noodles which do not have any wheat in them making it a very paleo and Whole30 friendly carb.
- 1 Cup- Soba Noodles Boiled El Dente
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp Vinegar ideally rice vinegar but in a pinch any other can also be added
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil or any other vegetable oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper or capsicum-julienned -cut in long strips
- 1 English Cucumber julienned-cut in long strips
- 1 tsp Nigella Seeds
- Few Sprigs of spring onion for sprinkling over
- Boil the noodles as per the packet.Do not over do them.
- In a pan heat the sesame oil on high flame.Saute the pepper and cucumber till its just cooked.The vegetables should still be crunchy and barely cooked.Set aside.
- In the food processor or mixie as called in India whiz together the soy sauce,peanut butter,honey and sesame seeds.
- In the pan with vegetables,add the noodles.Drizzle the above made sauce over it.
- Sprinkle the nigella seeds and spring onion.Enjoy with some good company!
Change the veggies to suit your preference though I strongly recommend english cucumber.
This portion is enough just for one person.Trust me!