As a child I ate the indian version of pumpkin curry with pooris all the time but I never imagined I could make a pie or a cookie with it back then.I remember eating a pumpkin chocolate kisses which was very weird! My recent tryst with pumpkin was a massive disaster.I made sautéed mushroom stuffed pumpkin and every single element of the dish was a big disappointment. Either the pumpkin was not ripe enough or I didn’t cook it for long enough.Even the mushroom filling was over salted and how can you go wrong with mushrooms! Overall it was a pretty bleh dish and I wasn’t very keen on trying anything pumpkin again.
But amazing looking produce has irresistibly strong gravitational force which strong arms you into putting things in the cart! And that’s how I ended up with one small butternut squash.
Butternut Pumpkin Chicken Roulade
The recipe is simple but takes a little more time and patience than the others I have posted here recently.You will need a meat tenderizer or a rolling-pin and a twine or a thread for this recipe.
And yes the plating is pretty juvenile but i wanted to try something different for once.
- Butternut Squash/Pumpkin-1 Small.
- Olive oil-2 tbsp divided
- Rosemary-1 tsp
- Garlic-3 cloves
- Chicken Breast-2
- Chilli Flakes
- Thyme leaves for garnish
- Bake Option-Cut the squash in half.Brush it with little olive oil.Season it with salt,add the rosemary and bake it at 180 degrees for 40 minutes.The Squash is soft and scoopable at this point.
- Pan Fry Option-Alternatively you can cut the squash into cubes and pan fry it covered for 20 minutes with the oil.
- Scoop out the pumpkin.Add minced garlic and chilli.Blitz it in a food processor to make a smooth paste.
- Place the chicken breast inside a ziplock bag or between two layers of cling film or plastic wrap.Using a meat tenderizer or a rolling-pin pound the chicken to flatten it to ¼ inch.Repeat the same on the other chicken breast.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture on the flattened chicken breast and spread it out.Take care to leave an inch of border around the filling
- Start rolling from one side,tuck the ends in and secure it with a kitchen twine of a toothpick.
- Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on high flame.The pan should be hot enough to be smooky.Add the prepared rolled Chicken breast and brown all the sides.This should take 20 seconds on each side.
- Place the chicken in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes so that the insides cooks. Slice the chicken and serve with the leftover pumpkin sauce.