I might have looked a little deranged eating this fish with my hands , sitting on the balcony floor at 3 pm on a Tuesday but there is only so much control a girl can exercise.The fish that took 5 minutes to prepare , took me approximately 38 seconds to devour front and back! I could compete with my dog Milo in who “finishes dinner faster”!
The inspiration of this dish was from the Pomfret fry I ate at Mahesh Lunch Home on Sunday.While travelling back from the airport on Sunday we decided to stop for lunch.It’s a seafood speciality restaurant ,which if you are a seafood lover will blow your socks,caps and macaroons off(oh I mean mittens)! You wont be able to help but ditch your fork and knife to eat the food with your hands.We tried the mussels sukka, Tawa Pomfret and the Vijaywada Prawn curry.I confess I was cheap enough to pack the gravy of the prawn curry back for use later! Suffice it to say if you are in Bangalore and are looking for the best seafood in the city please oh please go there!
Obviously, once I had the Pomfret tawa fry at Mahesh Lunch Home I had to try my hand at it.I didn’t want to over complicate this dish and so I kept the marinade simple.It is an easy one person,high protein,quick dinner option and can be made by anybody who owns a pan and gas.
Follow my instructions exactly and you will find yourself in front of a truly delectable ,melt in your mouth ,I don’t care if I burn my fingers but I have to eat it immediately kind of fish fry!(yes I burnt my fingers)
Suggestions-I used the smallest Pomfret fish in the market for this recipe.Don’t ask me how to clean it cause I got it done at the supermarket. You can add ginger-garlic paste or curd or deep fry it if you want.You can also use tandoori masala as a marinade here.
1 Tsp is 1 teaspoon
1 Tbsp is 1 tablespoon
- Small Pomfret little bigger than your palm
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder-1/2 tsp
- Paprika or Kashmiri -1/2 tsp
- Salt-To taste or 1/ 2 tsp
- Lemon Juice-2 tsp
- Vegetable oil/Olive oil/Clarified Butter-1 Tablespoon
- Using a sharp knife make diagonal incisions in the fish on both the sides.These will help in absorption of the spices and will also make it easier to eat.
- Mix all the spices and the lemon juice together,you should get a thick paste.Using your hands apply the paste on both sides of the fish. If you are short on time, marinade it for 10-15 minutes otherwise an hour or two should do the trick.
- Heat a flat pan or a tawa and add the oil for 15 seconds.
- Place the fish gently on the hot pan. Cook one side on high flame for 1 minute.
- Reduce the flame to medium ,flip the fish and cook open for 1 minute.Keep swirling the pan to make sure the oil reaches all sides of the fish.
- Cover the fish with a lid and cook for the next 3 minutes on medium flame.
Eat with your hands silly!6